Welcome to the PNESFC website


A North End Supporters FC achieved their first win of the season in fine style after defeating their highly-rated Midlands opponents.

In a dramatic reversal of fortune, Preston actually had 15 men to select their team from, but as is now customary, there were one or two who were absent. In particular, regulars Neil Higham, Mike Gostelow and Andy Whaley were unavailable; Neil was detained at Her Majesty's Pleasure after an incident with a cucumber and a tramp, Mike was injured but still managed to disembowel himself on a set of traffic lights the night before, and Andy had got lost in the eastern wing of his 53-bedroom mansion and hadn't been seen for days.

However the Whites welcomed back long-term absentee Andy Cooper after his successful toe transplant, wayward genius Iain Baggley, and Terry "The Cat" Quinn between the sticks. There were also debuts for new signings Kevin Saint, and Irish starlet Chris Farrelly, who was only eligible to play after his visa application was faxed through at the last minute.

On a windswept Astroturf and with the wind in their favour, North End attacked the Railway End in the first half, and provided a 25-minte spell of devastating one-touch football. The Blues' goal had had a couple of narrow escapes when hotshot Steve Brennan had gone close and Farrelly had pulled his shot wide.

However after 10 minutes the deadlock was broken. A neat interchange between Mark Cassidy and Farrelly on the edge of the box resulted in a shooting opportunity for BRENNAN, who dispatched the ball with aplomb. The part-time DJ superstar had kept up his sensational record of scoring in all PNE's matches this term.

Within seconds of the restart Brennan was at it again, playing a one-two with Cassidy, who tried to chip the keeper despite being in the 6-yard box, and his lob was tipped over.

With both Baggley and Chris Brennan providing plenty of width, a fantastic sweeping move led to goal number two. No less than five players were involved as the ball was teed-up on the periphery of the penalty area for BAGGLEY, who drilled his shot into the corner of the net.

By now the gaps in the visitor's midfield were opening, and the North End central quartet attacked at will. Both Saint and Craig Worthington went close from distance. Meanwhile at the other end, the central pairing of Cooper and Don Herd were in a commanding mood, ably assisted by Saint and Rob Cick, so much so that Quinn was reduced to being a spectator. Both full-backs looked comfortable on the ball and delivered telling passes during the scintillating first period.

A range of substitutions disturbed the flow a little, especially when assistant-manager Stewart Black brought himself on and then took himself off within a matter of five minutes. Perhaps he wanted another of his U-bend blocking dumps.

The second-half saw North End take control again, with more space opening behind the Birmingham defence. Chris Brennan saw a good chance go wide and then created an opportunity for Worthington, but dogged defending saved the day. It wasn't until the hour mark that the Whites all but wrapped-up the points, when a wonderful ball from the right by Worthington was slotted home at the near post by CASSIDY.

City began to carve out some good chances of their own, and but for some wayward shooting from inside the box on a couple of occasions, they could have reduced the arrears. However their day was summed up when the ball broke on the edge of the area only for a midfielder to plant the ball over the bar, over the 6m-high fence and onto the railway line, where the 11.23 to Blackpool North was derailed.

Rolling substitutions came and went, with Karl Brown, Andy Watt and Alan McCormick all having a significant taste of the action. These fresh legs made the difference in the last quarter, as a defence-splitting ball sent "Supersub" MCCORMICK clear of the last man. The centre-half, playing in the unusual role of right-winger, displayed all the coolness of a leg of lamb in the freezer as he picked his spot in the far corner to earn his second goal of the season from the bench, and make it 4-0.

Andy Watt, playing on the opposite flank, also shook off his marker on three occasions, but his first effort grazed the post, his second effort went wide and his final shot was blocked by the excellent City keeper.

At the other end City were denied a good penalty appeal by referee Knowles, who suggested that he was unsighted due to Watt's ample arse.

Baggley and Cooper both went close, but the best was saved for last as WORTHINGTON went on a mazy run down the left, before cutting inside and placing the ball through the keeper's legs.

The final whistle was greeted with jubilation from the massed ranks of home fans, and the hope of a similar display in at least one more fixture this season.

Man of the match: Chris Farrelly